Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Mappa Singapore

Phew... finally some time to catch a quick breath and unload some thoughts here...

Am still rushing the Ed Psy essay =((( but at least it's moving along.

Literature microteaching is so different from the Geog microteaching. There, the emphasis is getting the content across to the students. In Geog, the emphasis is on classroom management. Although the Geog microteaching is of course more realistic, I sometimes would appreciate some content teaching tips - like the basketball move thing for eastings and northings. That was an interesting tip!

Speaking of maps, Shouwee and I attended Prof Higgitt's talk on cartography last night after the fieldtrip. He talked about the definition of a map, the history of maps, and the future of mapping (GIS and GPS). He also sneaked some old maps from the map room of NUS, and I love old maps so I just had to take some photos. Unfortunately the reflective plastic wrapping over the maps made it very hard to get a clear picture of any of them, especially since the ink on them was already quite illegible. But here are 2 pics anyway so you have an idea of how the maps looked like:


click on pic to see bigger version
This map is from 1864 I think. You can see Fort Canning Hill to the right of the Singapore River. Other than that nothing much is legible... you can hardly make out anything even if you were there.


click on pic to see bigger version
This map is from 1911. It's not very clear but you can make out some interesting details... Clementi area was called Peng Kang, Tampines is a bit further north from where it is today, and so on.

My geog-nutty NUS classmates and I were having so much fun with the maps. Sigh... I wonder how we can try and pass on this kind of enthusiasm to kids nowadays. I remember the Sec 1 class I took over for my CT for maps... their general reaction was "Cher, when I grow up I will never take any job that has anything to do with maps!" I tried my best to convince them that maps will be useful wherever they go, but 35 mins just wasn't enough and I hadn't come prepared since my CT had given me other stuff to complete. If I had a chance to take maps from the start, I would probably bring the photos with me. Better still if I had a reprint of an old map... any idea where I might get that? National Museum?

Anyway, just for fun, here's something interesting from one of the maps. There was a list of the properties, owner, occupier, and road, in that order. Looking through the entries, we found an odd one: a property owned and occupied by a guy named Honghee, at Burial Ground Road:



And an even odder entry: Pearl's Hill, owned by the Government, occupier was Artillery, and road was Jail:



Other than that, some of the names there should be quite familiar... see how many you can spot!

5 Comments:

At 7:12 AM, Blogger S W said...

Hi Hi,
Cool picts! Wonderful. Didn't think of that. :)

SW

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger minerva said...

Great pics ~ I luv old maps too, yay!

Thanks for dropping by & for the offer wrt Ur Sands (will consider..) :)
U take care & Wishes,
Minerva*

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Chanced upon this blog. I was at the same NLB talk on maps that evening. Do you have more photos? The 1864 map is actually dated 1862 while the 1911 one is the 1873 edition. Assuming this blog is still active. If you're interested in old maps and reprints, drop me an email: vanedin at gmail dot com

Cheers

 
At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your photography skill is lousy ! i cant see the words on those maps !

 
At 4:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Yeah I think kids these days should appreciate these things more. Thanks for sharing this! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home